Updated Jan 24, 2013 - 1:39 pm
Ray Horton has no bitterness toward Arizona Cardinals
If you thought that, you'd be wrong. Former Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton didn't land the job he deeply wanted when Ken Whisenhunt was fired. Instead, Horton has moved on to be the new defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns and Todd Bowles will lead the Arizona defense. But Horton has no bitterness toward the team that passed on his services.
"Mr. Bidwill, his position is to get the best guy for the team, in his opinion," Horton told Burns and Gambo Thursday on Arizona Sports 620. "I guarantee you, that's exactly what he did, in his opinion he got the best guy for the team, and I'm good with that. That's life, that's reality, that's what it is, and you move on."
After the announcement that Bruce Arians would be the next head coach, there were rumblings that Horton had a "heated discussion" with new general manager Steve Keim. Horton addressed that as well.
"Not true," he said. "The GM and I had not talked since Monday morning when we just sat down and had an open, honest communication and talk.
"I believe we have a great friendship, so there was no arguing, no yelling and no cursing. I respected the process that they went through and doing their due dilligence, and it was just time to move on."
Despite changing his work address, Horton still hopes for the best for his former colleague, Arians, and the team that gave him his first opportunity to be a coordinator in the league.
"Bruce is going to do a heck of a job. You watch, they're going to be averaging about 30 points per game and I believe Todd will continue to build upon what I did -- they're going to be winning games 30 to 10. They're going to be blowing people out."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.