Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 1:59 pm
Arizona's next DC? Todd Bowles released from Eagles contract
The Arizona Cardinals, who hired Bruce Arians as head coach seemingly at the expense of defensive coordinator Ray Horton, will need to replace the architect of their defense.
The name linked to Arizona has been that of Todd Bowles, who finished last season as the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia.
He's now available to the Cardinals, according to USA Today NFL writer Mike Garafolo.
It's official: Todd Bowles has been released from his contract by the Eagles. Next stop, Arizona.— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 18, 2013
Bowles, 49, has spent time with the Dolphins, Cowboys, Browns and Jets as an assistant, but got his first taste of being a coordinator last season when he replaced Juan Castillo during the 2012 season.
The Eagles defense did not improve under Bowles, however, ultimately finishing 15th in total defense while giving up nearly 28 points per game.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Cardinals' 30-10 win over the Rams: By the numbers
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals vs. St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer to start vs. St. Louis Rams
- The Pulse: Fans confident in a Cardinals win vs. Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?