Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 1:59 pm
Arizona's next DC? Todd Bowles released from Eagles contract
The Arizona Cardinals, who hired Bruce Arians as head coach seemingly at the expense of defensive coordinator Ray Horton, will need to replace the architect of their defense.
The name linked to Arizona has been that of Todd Bowles, who finished last season as the defensive coordinator in Philadelphia.
He's now available to the Cardinals, according to USA Today NFL writer Mike Garafolo.
It's official: Todd Bowles has been released from his contract by the Eagles. Next stop, Arizona.— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 18, 2013
Bowles, 49, has spent time with the Dolphins, Cowboys, Browns and Jets as an assistant, but got his first taste of being a coordinator last season when he replaced Juan Castillo during the 2012 season.
The Eagles defense did not improve under Bowles, however, ultimately finishing 15th in total defense while giving up nearly 28 points per game.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Report says Andre Roberts agrees to deal with Redskins
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?