Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 6:32 pm
A crazy 24 hours in Arizona sports history
To summarize what happened, the Cardinals interviewed Bruce Arians for the head coaching job amidst rumors that they would lose defensive coordinator Ray Horton if the Colts OC got the head coaching job.
Later in the evening, Arians got the job and it was reported that Horton was indeed out in Arizona.
Of course, this happened while the Suns were in the process of losing to the Milwaukee Bucks, which dropped their record to a Western Conference-worst 13-28 on the season.
Then Friday morning, word came out that the Suns and head coach Alvin Gentry had parted ways.
Let's take a look at how it all went down through the eyes of the Arizona Sports 620 Twitter feed:
~ 1:30 p.m.
#Cardinals candidate Bruce Arians says as coach he would call offensive plays until he finds someone who can do it better than he does.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 17, 2013
RT @kyndra620: Arians says cant comment on staff that are under contract (Horton) and that's something that's way down the road.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 17, 2013
Alright, good stuff. Arians gave good answers to some tough questions and appeared to be interested in the job. But would he get it? That question would be answered hours later.
~ 6:30 p.m.
Ahh cool, the Cardinals' search for a coach finally ended. Sure, Arians isn't an exciting hire, but he may very well be a good one. But what will become of Horton?
~ 7:30 p.m.
So much for that, now Valley fans are going to have to come to grips with the fact that a popular and successful coach is leaving town, that stinks. At least the Suns are going to beat the Bucks, right? They always top Milwaukee at home.
~ 9:23 p.m.
FINAL - Bucks 98 @suns 94: Phoenix drops its first home game vs. MIL since 1987 and falls to 13-28 on the season.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 18, 2013
Well that's not good, but at least the day has come to a close. Friday will bring with it a press conference for the Cards' new coach, and with it some optimism. We could use some good news.
Yeah, about that...
~ 11:00 a.m. (Friday)
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Arizona Cardinals sign DT Tommy Kelly
- Report: Arizona Cardinals bring James Harrison in for a visit
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.