Ray Horton hired as Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator
Just hours after Ray Horton was released from his contract with the Arizona Cardinals, he was hired by the Cleveland Browns as defensive coordinator.
Horton's contract is for four years and $8 million, according to Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin.
It was expected the coach would find work quickly and initial speculation led to Cleveland.
Horton told de St. Aubin he received a phone call Friday from the Browns to discuss the job with him. He had interviewed with the Browns for their head coaching position earlier in the month and felt it was a good interview.
Horton believes the Browns' defense has a ton of upside and is an extraordinary young team.
Cleveland is assembling a new staff, led by first-time head coach Rob Chudzinski. The Browns have also landed Michael Lombardi as the vice president of player personnel.
Horton is flying to Cleveland Friday night to meet with team officials.
Horton interviewed for the Cardinals' head coaching job, and has been the architect of their defense over the last two seasons. In 2012, Arizona ranked 12th in the league in total defense.
In Arizona he was the defensive coordinator for Ken Whisenhunt, who took a job as the San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator on Thursday.
Horton said he got a phone call from Whisenhunt Thursday night, and his former boss thanked him for his time in Arizona and said maybe they would work together again in the future.
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.