ESPN NFL analyst: Cardinals handling search correctly, Arians would be a good choice
As of right now, they're only one who has yet to do so.
More than a half-dozen names have either been connected to Arizona or interviewed by the team, and while some may be getting a bit anxious over the Cardinals' search, ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski said they're handling their search the right way.
"I think you need to be patient, I think you need to interview all the top candidates, which is exactly what the Cardinals are doing," Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "But at the end of the day, the bottom line is you have to make the right choice.
"You don't have to make the first choice, as far as it goes, but I think at the end of the day you have to get a guy that you're comfortable with."
Where that will lead the Cardinals is anyone's guess. Having already interviewed Ray Horton, Todd Haley and Jay Gruden, the team this week spoke with Darrell Bevell and Bruce Arians.
The team appears to be leaning towards an offensive-minded coach, and while that may be the way the NFL is going, Jaworski said it's not so much about offense or defense as long as the guy can lead a team.
Jaworski believes Arians, who met with the Cardinals Wednesday night and had an official interview with them Thursday, is exactly that type of guy.
"He would be a tremendous head coach," Jaworski said.
The analyst said he's known Arians since he was a coach at Temple in the 80s, and has watched him grow as a coach ever since.
"I've watched Bruce grow, work with Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, develop his own philosophy about football," Jaworski added. "He is a strong leader of men.
"Players that are around Bruce Arians have great respect for him. What he did in Indianapolis this year was unparalleled."
Jaworski is referring to Arians' role as interim head coach for the Colts, which is a title he assumed when head coach Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia. Arians guided the team, which was led by rookie quarterback Andrew Luck, to a 9-3 record in his time as the boss.
"I think Bruce Arians would be a tremendous choice as a head coach."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.