Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 12:52 pm
ESPN NFL analyst: Cardinals handling search correctly, Arians would be a good choice
As of right now, they're only one who has yet to do so.
More than a half-dozen names have either been connected to Arizona or interviewed by the team, and while some may be getting a bit anxious over the Cardinals' search, ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski said they're handling their search the right way.
"I think you need to be patient, I think you need to interview all the top candidates, which is exactly what the Cardinals are doing," Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "But at the end of the day, the bottom line is you have to make the right choice.
"You don't have to make the first choice, as far as it goes, but I think at the end of the day you have to get a guy that you're comfortable with."
Where that will lead the Cardinals is anyone's guess. Having already interviewed Ray Horton, Todd Haley and Jay Gruden, the team this week spoke with Darrell Bevell and Bruce Arians.
The team appears to be leaning towards an offensive-minded coach, and while that may be the way the NFL is going, Jaworski said it's not so much about offense or defense as long as the guy can lead a team.
Jaworski believes Arians, who met with the Cardinals Wednesday night and had an official interview with them Thursday, is exactly that type of guy.
"He would be a tremendous head coach," Jaworski said.
The analyst said he's known Arians since he was a coach at Temple in the 80s, and has watched him grow as a coach ever since.
"I've watched Bruce grow, work with Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, develop his own philosophy about football," Jaworski added. "He is a strong leader of men.
"Players that are around Bruce Arians have great respect for him. What he did in Indianapolis this year was unparalleled."
Jaworski is referring to Arians' role as interim head coach for the Colts, which is a title he assumed when head coach Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia. Arians guided the team, which was led by rookie quarterback Andrew Luck, to a 9-3 record in his time as the boss.
"I think Bruce Arians would be a tremendous choice as a head coach."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up