ESPN insider thinks Jay Gruden will be Arizona Cardinals new head coach
The Arizona Cardinals are one of only two teams who are still looking for a new head coach. But they do appear to be taking steps forward.
Team brass interviewed Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell on Wednesday and are tentatively set to meet with Indianapolis Colts OC Bruce Arians on Thursday.
ESPN insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday which coaching options could still be viable for the Cardinals.
"When you look at what's there for the Arizona Cardinals they still can maybe get a Bruce Arians, they can still maybe get a Jay Gruden," Clayton said. "I don't know where it stands with Todd Haley but you don't get good vibes about that."
Clayton does think there is a frontrunner for the Cardinals coaching vacancy -- and it's a guy who has already been interviewed.
"I still think in the end it's going to be Jay Gruden," Clayton said. "I can't see Bruce Arians wanting to just get a head coaching job. I mean this guy; he's got a great situation. Why leave Andrew Luck? He's that good." Clayton believes Arians will get plenty of offers next offseason and has no reason to rush into a situation -- particularly if it ends up being a poor fit.
"If you're attached to Andrew Luck and you are as good as coach as [Arians] is why leave him? You'll get offers next year," Clayton said.
Even if the Cardinals made Arians an offer, Clayton is not convinced he will accept.
"If you don't feel comfortable with the coaches that you can work with, you can pick and choose," Clayton explained. "I would not doubt that [Arians] can get that offer but also too what I would question is whether he would take it if he can't have everything that he wants."
Clayton believes the Cardinals' unsettled quarterback situation has cost them many potential candidates.
"It's still a perception that you're judged on what quarterbacks you have. If it didn't work out with Kevin Kolb, which it hasn't worked out with the other quarterbacks, you're going to be down the list," Clayton said.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.
- Paulie Pigskin Report - Sunday December 1Paul Calvisi catches up with AZ Cardinals LB Jasper Brinkley.