Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 6:15 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Mike McCoy the 'leader in the clubhouse' for Cardinals job
"I honestly think it could be Mike McCoy," he said. "When you look at it, Mike McCoy is probably the hottest of the assistant coaches."
McCoy, who interviewed with the Cardinals last Saturday, is looked at as one of the top assistant coaches ready to make the leap to the head job.
An assistant on the Carolina Panthers' staff from 2000-2008, the Broncos hired McCoy to run their offense in 2008. He's credited for being able to get the most out of the talent he has to work with on offense, which has to be intriguing to a team like Arizona.
"He was able to work so well with Peyton Manning and he's done so well when he worked with Jake Delhomme," continued Clayton. "He's ready, and so he would be the hottest guy.
"When you start to handicap it, knowing that they have a good chance to go to the Super Bowl or at the very least they're going to be in the championship game, you have to wait for Mike McCoy."
And therein lies the rub with regards to McCoy. While a team like the Cardinals may want him and he may want the Cardinals, he cannot go anywhere until the Broncos are eliminated from the playoffs. And as the AFC's top seed, there is a good chance they'll be playing in Super Bowl XLVII.
"If you have the defensive staff in place and you know what you want to try to do on offense, then I think you're in a position to get Mike McCoy," Clayton said. "I think Mike McCoy is the leader in the clubhouse if this team is willing to wait."
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham's statement
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.