Updated Jan 9, 2013 - 12:24 pm
Former Cardinal Warner understands why Whisenhunt was fired
Warner -- being the player and man that he is -- had strong feelings towards the hiring of Steve Keim and firing of his former coach, Ken Whisenhunt.
He understood the due process of head coaching positions in the NFL, and knew the reasoning behind the Cardinals' immediate actions after a second 5-11 season in three years.
"When you're struggling, that's what people are going to remember first," Warner said for the reason behind Whisenhunt's firing, amongst others across the league. "That's obviously why he (Whisenhunt) doesn't have a job here in Arizona."
While the firing was rightfully earned in Warner's eyes, he says it doesn't deplete the value of Whisenhunt's stock.
"Look what coach Whisenhunt did here with this organization. No success for however long, he comes in, turns it around, wins a couple division championships, goes to the Super Bowl," Warner said. "(He) did some amazing things that nobody has really done here before. That to me is why you have to give a strong look to somebody like Coach Whisenhunt."
Outside of Whisenhunt and the Cardinals, the other six head coaching vacancies came due to lackluster performances throughout -- or to close out -- the season.
"It's unfortunate, but that's what happens in the business," he said. "When you lose and you get fired, people are going to remember that first."
However, he believes Whisenhunt and former Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith are two coaches still available that any NFL team should jump at having.
"They're great head coaches and should be hot commodities because of what they bring to the table," Warner said.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.