Updated Jan 9, 2013 - 12:24 pm
Former Cardinal Warner understands why Whisenhunt was fired
Warner -- being the player and man that he is -- had strong feelings towards the hiring of Steve Keim and firing of his former coach, Ken Whisenhunt.
He understood the due process of head coaching positions in the NFL, and knew the reasoning behind the Cardinals' immediate actions after a second 5-11 season in three years.
"When you're struggling, that's what people are going to remember first," Warner said for the reason behind Whisenhunt's firing, amongst others across the league. "That's obviously why he (Whisenhunt) doesn't have a job here in Arizona."
While the firing was rightfully earned in Warner's eyes, he says it doesn't deplete the value of Whisenhunt's stock.
"Look what coach Whisenhunt did here with this organization. No success for however long, he comes in, turns it around, wins a couple division championships, goes to the Super Bowl," Warner said. "(He) did some amazing things that nobody has really done here before. That to me is why you have to give a strong look to somebody like Coach Whisenhunt."
Outside of Whisenhunt and the Cardinals, the other six head coaching vacancies came due to lackluster performances throughout -- or to close out -- the season.
"It's unfortunate, but that's what happens in the business," he said. "When you lose and you get fired, people are going to remember that first."
However, he believes Whisenhunt and former Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith are two coaches still available that any NFL team should jump at having.
"They're great head coaches and should be hot commodities because of what they bring to the table," Warner said.
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.