Updated Jan 9, 2013 - 12:24 pm
Former Cardinal Warner understands why Whisenhunt was fired
Warner -- being the player and man that he is -- had strong feelings towards the hiring of Steve Keim and firing of his former coach, Ken Whisenhunt.
He understood the due process of head coaching positions in the NFL, and knew the reasoning behind the Cardinals' immediate actions after a second 5-11 season in three years.
"When you're struggling, that's what people are going to remember first," Warner said for the reason behind Whisenhunt's firing, amongst others across the league. "That's obviously why he (Whisenhunt) doesn't have a job here in Arizona."
While the firing was rightfully earned in Warner's eyes, he says it doesn't deplete the value of Whisenhunt's stock.
"Look what coach Whisenhunt did here with this organization. No success for however long, he comes in, turns it around, wins a couple division championships, goes to the Super Bowl," Warner said. "(He) did some amazing things that nobody has really done here before. That to me is why you have to give a strong look to somebody like Coach Whisenhunt."
Outside of Whisenhunt and the Cardinals, the other six head coaching vacancies came due to lackluster performances throughout -- or to close out -- the season.
"It's unfortunate, but that's what happens in the business," he said. "When you lose and you get fired, people are going to remember that first."
However, he believes Whisenhunt and former Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith are two coaches still available that any NFL team should jump at having.
"They're great head coaches and should be hot commodities because of what they bring to the table," Warner said.
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.