Updated Jan 8, 2013 - 10:13 pm
Former Cardinals QB Kurt Warner weighs in on Keim, head coaching search
The Arizona Cardinals hired their new general manager on Tuesday, promoting vice president of player personnel Steve Keim.
Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday he expected to see Keim take over the GM reins.
"I wasn't surprised at all," Warner said. "I know they did their due diligence and reached out and looked some other places but [Keim]'s done a great job for them. I know everybody there really likes what he's done."
Keim has been with the Cardinals since 1999 in a variety of roles including scout, director of college scouting and director of player personnel.
Warner felt team brass had "high regard for what he's done and what he's brought to the organization" and feel confident he will thrive in his new role.
"I think they knew and just kind of had that holding there and were going to check other people out but always knew he was going to be a viable guy for that position because of what he's done," Warner said.
While the Cardinals now have their new general manager, they still remain without a head coach. The team has interviewed defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and have a meeting scheduled with Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden on Thursday.
Warner was mum on who he thinks should win the job but did say it's hard to tell which coaches will be successful in the NFL.
"There's a lot of guys out there whether it's college ranks or in the pros that probably could be great head coaches," Warner explained. "I don't think you ever really know that until they are in the position so I can only speak to guys that I know personally that have been head coaches and how they've handled those situations more so than somebody you're taking a shot on."
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.