Insider: Cardinals interested in interviewing Jay Gruden
Sunday morning, CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora tweeted this:
Add the Cardinals to Jay Gruden's dance card. The Eagles also plan to interview the Bengals offensive coordinator this week— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 6, 2013
Gruden, the younger brother of former NFL coach Jon Gruden, has served as Marvin Lewis' offensive coordinator in Cincinnati the last two seasons. In both seasons, the Bengals made the playoffs despite having an inexperienced quarterback (2011 second-round selection Andy Dalton) behind center.
Before coming to Cincinnati, Gruden worked in the Arena Football league for 14 years. On two separate occasions (1998-2001 and 2004-2008), he served as the head coach of the Orlando Predators. In addition, Gruden was the head coach of the Florida Tuskers out of the United Football League in 2010.
Gruden knows a thing or two about the quarterback position, as well, having won four Arena Bowl titles as the starting quarterback of the Tampa Bay Storm.
Sunday night, the Cardinals VP of Media Relations Mark Dalton confirmed the team's interest in Gruden with this tweet:
.@azcardinals Sunday PM update: Met w Broncos OC Mike McCoy yesterday in DEN. Expected to speak this wk w Bengals OC Jay Gruden— MarkDalton (@CardsMarkD) January 7, 2013
Arizona has also expressed interest in current defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.