Insider: Cardinals interested in interviewing Jay Gruden
Sunday morning, CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora tweeted this:
Add the Cardinals to Jay Gruden's dance card. The Eagles also plan to interview the Bengals offensive coordinator this week— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 6, 2013
Gruden, the younger brother of former NFL coach Jon Gruden, has served as Marvin Lewis' offensive coordinator in Cincinnati the last two seasons. In both seasons, the Bengals made the playoffs despite having an inexperienced quarterback (2011 second-round selection Andy Dalton) behind center.
Before coming to Cincinnati, Gruden worked in the Arena Football league for 14 years. On two separate occasions (1998-2001 and 2004-2008), he served as the head coach of the Orlando Predators. In addition, Gruden was the head coach of the Florida Tuskers out of the United Football League in 2010.
Gruden knows a thing or two about the quarterback position, as well, having won four Arena Bowl titles as the starting quarterback of the Tampa Bay Storm.
Sunday night, the Cardinals VP of Media Relations Mark Dalton confirmed the team's interest in Gruden with this tweet:
.@azcardinals Sunday PM update: Met w Broncos OC Mike McCoy yesterday in DEN. Expected to speak this wk w Bengals OC Jay Gruden— MarkDalton (@CardsMarkD) January 7, 2013
Arizona has also expressed interest in current defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.