Insider: Cardinals interested in interviewing Jay Gruden
Sunday morning, CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora tweeted this:
Add the Cardinals to Jay Gruden's dance card. The Eagles also plan to interview the Bengals offensive coordinator this week— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 6, 2013
Gruden, the younger brother of former NFL coach Jon Gruden, has served as Marvin Lewis' offensive coordinator in Cincinnati the last two seasons. In both seasons, the Bengals made the playoffs despite having an inexperienced quarterback (2011 second-round selection Andy Dalton) behind center.
Before coming to Cincinnati, Gruden worked in the Arena Football league for 14 years. On two separate occasions (1998-2001 and 2004-2008), he served as the head coach of the Orlando Predators. In addition, Gruden was the head coach of the Florida Tuskers out of the United Football League in 2010.
Gruden knows a thing or two about the quarterback position, as well, having won four Arena Bowl titles as the starting quarterback of the Tampa Bay Storm.
Sunday night, the Cardinals VP of Media Relations Mark Dalton confirmed the team's interest in Gruden with this tweet:
.@azcardinals Sunday PM update: Met w Broncos OC Mike McCoy yesterday in DEN. Expected to speak this wk w Bengals OC Jay Gruden— MarkDalton (@CardsMarkD) January 7, 2013
Arizona has also expressed interest in current defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.