Insider: Cardinals interested in interviewing Jay Gruden
Sunday morning, CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora tweeted this:
Add the Cardinals to Jay Gruden's dance card. The Eagles also plan to interview the Bengals offensive coordinator this week— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 6, 2013
Gruden, the younger brother of former NFL coach Jon Gruden, has served as Marvin Lewis' offensive coordinator in Cincinnati the last two seasons. In both seasons, the Bengals made the playoffs despite having an inexperienced quarterback (2011 second-round selection Andy Dalton) behind center.
Before coming to Cincinnati, Gruden worked in the Arena Football league for 14 years. On two separate occasions (1998-2001 and 2004-2008), he served as the head coach of the Orlando Predators. In addition, Gruden was the head coach of the Florida Tuskers out of the United Football League in 2010.
Gruden knows a thing or two about the quarterback position, as well, having won four Arena Bowl titles as the starting quarterback of the Tampa Bay Storm.
Sunday night, the Cardinals VP of Media Relations Mark Dalton confirmed the team's interest in Gruden with this tweet:
.@azcardinals Sunday PM update: Met w Broncos OC Mike McCoy yesterday in DEN. Expected to speak this wk w Bengals OC Jay Gruden— MarkDalton (@CardsMarkD) January 7, 2013
Arizona has also expressed interest in current defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b