Insider: Cardinals interested in interviewing Jay Gruden
Sunday morning, CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora tweeted this:
Add the Cardinals to Jay Gruden's dance card. The Eagles also plan to interview the Bengals offensive coordinator this week— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 6, 2013
Gruden, the younger brother of former NFL coach Jon Gruden, has served as Marvin Lewis' offensive coordinator in Cincinnati the last two seasons. In both seasons, the Bengals made the playoffs despite having an inexperienced quarterback (2011 second-round selection Andy Dalton) behind center.
Before coming to Cincinnati, Gruden worked in the Arena Football league for 14 years. On two separate occasions (1998-2001 and 2004-2008), he served as the head coach of the Orlando Predators. In addition, Gruden was the head coach of the Florida Tuskers out of the United Football League in 2010.
Gruden knows a thing or two about the quarterback position, as well, having won four Arena Bowl titles as the starting quarterback of the Tampa Bay Storm.
Sunday night, the Cardinals VP of Media Relations Mark Dalton confirmed the team's interest in Gruden with this tweet:
.@azcardinals Sunday PM update: Met w Broncos OC Mike McCoy yesterday in DEN. Expected to speak this wk w Bengals OC Jay Gruden— MarkDalton (@CardsMarkD) January 7, 2013
Arizona has also expressed interest in current defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.