NFL Analyst: 'Whisenhunt's going to get another shot'
When the Arizona Cardinals fired Ken Whisenhunt on Monday, many pundits around the league believed he would get a second chance as an NFL head coach.
Less than a week since his firing, Whisenhunt has already completed interviews with the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns. With the Browns close to hiring Oregon innovator and one of the hottest head coaching candidates on the market, Chip Kelly, many wonder if Whisenhunt will indeed wind up taking the reins in Buffalo.
CBS Sports NFL Analyst Steve Tasker told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Friday he hasn't been privy to the talks between Whisenhunt and the Bills, but he wouldn't be surprised if the former Cardinals head coach landed with the Bills.
"Don't be surprised when Ken Whisenhunt gets another head coaching job and it may well be in Buffalo," Tasker said. "I am sure that he's on their short list and we'll see how it comes out. I don't have any special insight into how that interview process went with Whisenhunt."
Tasker said he understands Cardinals fans might be unable to fathom how Whisenhunt could potentially get another head coach gig so quickly, but he believes with the right personnel the 50-year-old could be quite successful in a new environment.
"Don't kid yourself, [Whisenhunt's] going to get another shot at a head coaching job," Tasker said. "He got [the Cardinals] to the Super Bowl. When he had a good quarterback, he's a pretty good coach. And every coach I've ever spoken to will tell you they go from the village idiot to the Coach of the Year as soon as they get good players."
Whisenhunt interviewed with Bills' brass on Wednesday night in Arizona. He was 45-51 in six seasons with the Cardinals and 27-21 and 4-2 in the playoffs in three seasons with two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner.
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.