NFL Analyst: 'Whisenhunt's going to get another shot'
When the Arizona Cardinals fired Ken Whisenhunt on Monday, many pundits around the league believed he would get a second chance as an NFL head coach.
Less than a week since his firing, Whisenhunt has already completed interviews with the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns. With the Browns close to hiring Oregon innovator and one of the hottest head coaching candidates on the market, Chip Kelly, many wonder if Whisenhunt will indeed wind up taking the reins in Buffalo.
CBS Sports NFL Analyst Steve Tasker told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Friday he hasn't been privy to the talks between Whisenhunt and the Bills, but he wouldn't be surprised if the former Cardinals head coach landed with the Bills.
"Don't be surprised when Ken Whisenhunt gets another head coaching job and it may well be in Buffalo," Tasker said. "I am sure that he's on their short list and we'll see how it comes out. I don't have any special insight into how that interview process went with Whisenhunt."
Tasker said he understands Cardinals fans might be unable to fathom how Whisenhunt could potentially get another head coach gig so quickly, but he believes with the right personnel the 50-year-old could be quite successful in a new environment.
"Don't kid yourself, [Whisenhunt's] going to get another shot at a head coaching job," Tasker said. "He got [the Cardinals] to the Super Bowl. When he had a good quarterback, he's a pretty good coach. And every coach I've ever spoken to will tell you they go from the village idiot to the Coach of the Year as soon as they get good players."
Whisenhunt interviewed with Bills' brass on Wednesday night in Arizona. He was 45-51 in six seasons with the Cardinals and 27-21 and 4-2 in the playoffs in three seasons with two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.