Updated Jan 4, 2013 - 2:24 pm
49ers touchdowns against Cardinals came at a price
Anyway, the San Francisco 49ers beat the Arizona Cardinals 27-13 in the regular season finale last Sunday. A close game in the first half, the 49ers took it to the Cardinals over the game's final 30 minutes.
In all, receiver Michael Crabtree scored a pair of touchdowns while running back Frank Gore tallied one. As part of their respective celebrations, each player threw the football into the stands.
As it turns out, footballs are expensive.
According to CSNBayArea.com, the players were fined for tossing the footballs away.
The well-meaning gesture came at a price, though. Both players were fined $10,500 by the NFL, according to a league spokesman.
The league considers it fan safety issue to have players throw football into the stands, as opposed to handing the ball or tossing it to a fan, which is allowed. The NFL does not want fans fighting over a football.
Fortunately for both Crabree and Gore, their contracts are paying them hefty sums. However, that probably won't do much to dull the pain.
If only they would have scored fewer touchdowns that day...
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.