Updated Jan 4, 2013 - 2:24 pm
49ers touchdowns against Cardinals came at a price
Anyway, the San Francisco 49ers beat the Arizona Cardinals 27-13 in the regular season finale last Sunday. A close game in the first half, the 49ers took it to the Cardinals over the game's final 30 minutes.
In all, receiver Michael Crabtree scored a pair of touchdowns while running back Frank Gore tallied one. As part of their respective celebrations, each player threw the football into the stands.
As it turns out, footballs are expensive.
According to CSNBayArea.com, the players were fined for tossing the footballs away.
The well-meaning gesture came at a price, though. Both players were fined $10,500 by the NFL, according to a league spokesman.
The league considers it fan safety issue to have players throw football into the stands, as opposed to handing the ball or tossing it to a fan, which is allowed. The NFL does not want fans fighting over a football.
Fortunately for both Crabree and Gore, their contracts are paying them hefty sums. However, that probably won't do much to dull the pain.
If only they would have scored fewer touchdowns that day...
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.