Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 4:05 pm
ESPN insider: Cardinals just 'got beat' by Chiefs
Then Reid interviewed with the Kansas City Chiefs, and that idea flew out the window.
Word leaked early Thursday that Reid to the Chiefs was 'imminent', and that the Cardinals were in turn setting their sights on other options.
Given that it appears Arizona may have been used as leverage, people are wondering if the Cardinals "got played" by the Reid camp.
"I think they just got beat, more than anything else," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday, noting a deal is not officially done yet. "I think you can see where structure wasn't going to work."
Clayton said Reid will have more freedom in Kansas City than he would have in Arizona, as Cardinals president Michael Bidwill is also searching for a new general manager as well as a coach. It's been reported that Reid would like to bring his own general manager along, and that may not have jived with what Arizona wanted to do.
But still, Reid had every intention of chatting with the Cardinals.
"Now, he planned to come out (to Arizona)," Clayton added. "Went nine hours [Wednesday], it went well.
Clayton said Reid and the Chiefs are now in the stage of working out contract numbers, figuring the coach will make around $7.5 to $8 million along with having plenty of control over personnel, which is a number the Cardinals may not have wanted any part of.
"That's why he called and cancelled the flights, and he still left it open for if things fall apart that he can go there, but he's going to end up in Kansas City."
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.