Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 4:05 pm
ESPN insider: Cardinals just 'got beat' by Chiefs
Then Reid interviewed with the Kansas City Chiefs, and that idea flew out the window.
Word leaked early Thursday that Reid to the Chiefs was 'imminent', and that the Cardinals were in turn setting their sights on other options.
Given that it appears Arizona may have been used as leverage, people are wondering if the Cardinals "got played" by the Reid camp.
"I think they just got beat, more than anything else," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday, noting a deal is not officially done yet. "I think you can see where structure wasn't going to work."
Clayton said Reid will have more freedom in Kansas City than he would have in Arizona, as Cardinals president Michael Bidwill is also searching for a new general manager as well as a coach. It's been reported that Reid would like to bring his own general manager along, and that may not have jived with what Arizona wanted to do.
But still, Reid had every intention of chatting with the Cardinals.
"Now, he planned to come out (to Arizona)," Clayton added. "Went nine hours [Wednesday], it went well.
Clayton said Reid and the Chiefs are now in the stage of working out contract numbers, figuring the coach will make around $7.5 to $8 million along with having plenty of control over personnel, which is a number the Cardinals may not have wanted any part of.
"That's why he called and cancelled the flights, and he still left it open for if things fall apart that he can go there, but he's going to end up in Kansas City."
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?