ESPN insider: Cardinals just 'got beat' by Chiefs
Then Reid interviewed with the Kansas City Chiefs, and that idea flew out the window.
Word leaked early Thursday that Reid to the Chiefs was 'imminent', and that the Cardinals were in turn setting their sights on other options.
Given that it appears Arizona may have been used as leverage, people are wondering if the Cardinals "got played" by the Reid camp.
"I think they just got beat, more than anything else," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday, noting a deal is not officially done yet. "I think you can see where structure wasn't going to work."
Clayton said Reid will have more freedom in Kansas City than he would have in Arizona, as Cardinals president Michael Bidwill is also searching for a new general manager as well as a coach. It's been reported that Reid would like to bring his own general manager along, and that may not have jived with what Arizona wanted to do.
But still, Reid had every intention of chatting with the Cardinals.
"Now, he planned to come out (to Arizona)," Clayton added. "Went nine hours [Wednesday], it went well.
Clayton said Reid and the Chiefs are now in the stage of working out contract numbers, figuring the coach will make around $7.5 to $8 million along with having plenty of control over personnel, which is a number the Cardinals may not have wanted any part of.
"That's why he called and cancelled the flights, and he still left it open for if things fall apart that he can go there, but he's going to end up in Kansas City."
- ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
- Football player Daryl Washington pleads not guilty
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleads 'not guilty'
- CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.