ESPN: Reid, Chiefs 'on verge of a deal'
Originally published: Jan 3, 2013 - 8:37 am
Arizona Cardinals coaching candidate Andy Reid is on the verge of a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter.
Mortensen spoke with Mike & Mike on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and discussed how the nine-hour meeting between Reid and the Chiefs went.
"The Chiefs were trying to close the deal with Andy Reid [on Wednesday]," Mortensen said. "At this point I'm going to be surprised if Andy Reid isn't the Chiefs coach. Now, I've been surprised before, but there is a lot of activity there.
"Someone would say, 'why Kansas City over Arizona?', well one thing is in Kansas City, Clark Hunt the owner of the Chiefs, will let Andy build this thing how he wants it."
The Chiefs' general manager is Scott Pioli.
Mortensen went on to say that Arizona has "more clutter" than Kansas City and that he believes the Chiefs, who have interviewed at least three coaches, will be the first domino to fall of all the open coaching positions.
Reid was originally scheduled to fly to Arizona after his meeting with Kansas City and interview with the Cardinals on Thursday.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?