ESPN: Reid, Chiefs 'on verge of a deal'
Originally published: Jan 3, 2013 - 8:37 am
Arizona Cardinals coaching candidate Andy Reid is on the verge of a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter.
Mortensen spoke with Mike & Mike on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and discussed how the nine-hour meeting between Reid and the Chiefs went.
"The Chiefs were trying to close the deal with Andy Reid [on Wednesday]," Mortensen said. "At this point I'm going to be surprised if Andy Reid isn't the Chiefs coach. Now, I've been surprised before, but there is a lot of activity there.
"Someone would say, 'why Kansas City over Arizona?', well one thing is in Kansas City, Clark Hunt the owner of the Chiefs, will let Andy build this thing how he wants it."
The Chiefs' general manager is Scott Pioli.
Mortensen went on to say that Arizona has "more clutter" than Kansas City and that he believes the Chiefs, who have interviewed at least three coaches, will be the first domino to fall of all the open coaching positions.
Reid was originally scheduled to fly to Arizona after his meeting with Kansas City and interview with the Cardinals on Thursday.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.