Updated Jan 2, 2013 - 9:57 am
Are Cardinals getting used by Andy Reid? Maybe
The deposed Philadelphia Eagles coach is arguably the highest-profile name on the market right now, and he would seem like a great fit for the Cardinals.
Career winning record? Check.
Ability to put together a good coaching staff? Check.
Name recognition for fans? Check.
Ability to coach quarterbacks? Not only a check, but maybe the biggest selling point for a Reid/Cardinals marriage.
However, as the day wore on reports went from Reid being almost certain to join the Cardinals to simply setting up an interview later in the week, and then word leaked out the coach was set to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs about their job opening before the Cards get a chance to talk with him.
Also, if you know agent Bob Lamonte's MO (reps Reid, Gruden, Holmgren), it sure looks like #Cardinals are the ones getting used.— Jason Cole (@JasonColeYahoo) January 2, 2013
A Yahoo! Sports NFL insider, Cole's suggestion is as interesting as it is disturbing. Could Reid be playing the Cardinals in an effort to get a better deal somewhere else? Maybe he has little interest in the Cardinals or his former QB Kevin Kolb, and would rather start fresh with the team that currently holds the top pick in the 2013 draft.
It would not be the first time the Cardinals were used as leverage for someone to head to Kansas City, as Vonnie Holliday's flirtation with Arizona in 2003 ultimately led to him getting a big offer from the Chiefs.
In a twist of irony, though, Holliday ended up with the Cardinals after all, albeit quite a few years later.
At any rate, until Reid signs on the dotted line for a different team Cole's report -- like everyone else's before him -- is merely speculation.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.