Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 1:00 pm
Cardinals fire head coach Ken Whisenhunt
Whisenhunt coached six years for the Cardinals, compiling a 45-51 record, including two NFC West division titles and the franchise's one and only trip to the Super Bowl.
Several of Whisenhunt's assistants have also been let go by the team. Russ Grimm (Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line), Mike Miller (Offensive Coordinator), Chad Grimm (Offensive Quality Control), John McNulty (Quarterbacks), Frank Reich (Wide Receivers) and Tommie Robinson (Running Backs).
Tight ends coach Freddie Kitchens and special teams coach Kevin Spencer were not affected by the firings.
No changes have been made with the defensive assistants to this point.
Under Whisenhunt, the Cardinals struggled following the retirement of quarterback Kurt Warner after the 2009 season. In the three seasons that followed consecutive playoff berths, the Cardinals went 18-30 while starting six different quarterbacks.
In 2012, the Cardinals suffered their worst loss in franchise history, a 58-0 drubbing at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks in Week 14.
The Cardinals have also suffered losing streaks in each of the last three seasons of at least six games, including a nine-game skid this season.
Whisenhunt had one year remaining on his contract.
The search for a new coach (and general manager) begins with the new year, and Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, a hot coaching commodity around the league, would seem to have the early inside track on landing the head coaching post with the Cardinals.
Horton's defense ranked 12th in the league in yards allowed and 17th in points allowed this season.
Whisenhunt was one of seven NFL head coaches relieved of their duties Monday. The others were Philadelphia's Andy Reid, Buffalo's Chan Gailey, Cleveland's Pat Shurmur, San Diego's Norv Turner, Chicago's Lovie Smith and Kansas City's Romeo Crennel.
- Arizona Cardinals: Wins meaningless without playoffs
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.