Updated Dec 30, 2012 - 11:10 am
Insider: Arizona Cardinals to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt
After surveying with execs, team sources and agents, there is a strong expectation that Andy Reid (Eagles), Norv Turner (Chargers), Romeo Crennel (Chiefs), Pat Shurmur (Browns), Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals) and Mike Mularkey (Jacksonville) will be out shortly after the season ends.
Of that group, La Canfora went on to speculate that Whisenhunt is not one of four coaches certain to go after Sunday's final day of regular season games, but it still doesn't look good for Arizona's sixth-year head coach.
In six seasons, Whisenhunt has led the Cardinals to two postseason appearances, including a Super Bowl berth during the 2008 season. However, regardless of how Sunday's game at San Francisco turns out, Arizona will have missed the postseason for three consecutive seasons.
Although Whisenhunt is just 45-50 in 95 career games with the Cardinals, La Canfora said it's likely he would get a few interviews around the league for head coaching vacancies.
CBS' NFL Insider didn't stop at Whisenhunt, though. La Canfora also reported that the team is mulling over where or not to fire general manager Rod Graves, but if they do his replacement will likely come internally.
Graves has been with the Cardinals since 1997 and helped the team reach unparalleled heights with a recent Super Bowl appearance. The Bidwell family has long appreciated his work but assistant general manager Steve Keim is also seen as a rising star. He was promoted last year, and sources said he is being considered for the general managers title there.
- Phoenix Coyotes CEO: Dave Tippett 'a scientist when it comes to the sport'
- Pulling off upset in Seattle a long shot for developing Cardinals
- Week 16 Injury Report: Cardinals at Seahawks
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 18
- MMQB: Cardinals' Todd Bowles considered among top minority head coaching candidates
- Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo - Tuesday December 17Cardinal Wide Receiver Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday December 17A love/hate relationship with NFL kickers
- Impromtu Power Poll - Tuesday December 17NFL coaches in the hot seat.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday December 16Arians discusses the team's dramatic, overtime victory in Tennessee.
- Paul's Call - Monday December 16It’s Paul’s Call with Paul Calvisi!