Updated Dec 30, 2012 - 11:10 am
Insider: Arizona Cardinals to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt
After surveying with execs, team sources and agents, there is a strong expectation that Andy Reid (Eagles), Norv Turner (Chargers), Romeo Crennel (Chiefs), Pat Shurmur (Browns), Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals) and Mike Mularkey (Jacksonville) will be out shortly after the season ends.
Of that group, La Canfora went on to speculate that Whisenhunt is not one of four coaches certain to go after Sunday's final day of regular season games, but it still doesn't look good for Arizona's sixth-year head coach.
In six seasons, Whisenhunt has led the Cardinals to two postseason appearances, including a Super Bowl berth during the 2008 season. However, regardless of how Sunday's game at San Francisco turns out, Arizona will have missed the postseason for three consecutive seasons.
Although Whisenhunt is just 45-50 in 95 career games with the Cardinals, La Canfora said it's likely he would get a few interviews around the league for head coaching vacancies.
CBS' NFL Insider didn't stop at Whisenhunt, though. La Canfora also reported that the team is mulling over where or not to fire general manager Rod Graves, but if they do his replacement will likely come internally.
Graves has been with the Cardinals since 1997 and helped the team reach unparalleled heights with a recent Super Bowl appearance. The Bidwell family has long appreciated his work but assistant general manager Steve Keim is also seen as a rising star. He was promoted last year, and sources said he is being considered for the general managers title there.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.