Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 1:50 pm
Cardinals to replace Whisenhunt and pursue Andy Reid?
One of the questions people ask, though, is if the Cardinals do indeed fire their coach of the last six seasons, who will they get to replace him?
Sports Illustrated's Don Banks wrote that Arizona's "collapse after a 4-0 start this season is expected to lead to head coach Ken Whisenhunt and the team parting ways," while also noting that general manager Rod Graves is not expected to retain his role.
But it's who he speculates could come to the Valley that's interesting.
The Cardinals could choose to pursue Reid as their next head coach, and Reid probably has Arizona on the list of clubs he's most interested in. After all, he would be reunited with quarterback Kevin Kolb, the former Eagle who was dealt to Arizona in 2011, and there is talent on the defensive side of the Cardinals' roster.
But again, Reid's salary level might deter Arizona. Plus, the Cardinals have gone that route before, hiring big-name former playoff-qualifying head coaches a couple times in the relatively recent past, without great results (see Buddy Ryan and Dennis Green).
Banks goes on to note the Cardinals may just decide to promote defensive coordinator Ray Horton to the head coach role while making vice president/player personnel Steve Keim the new general manager.
But it's the point about Reid that is most interesting.
The current Eagles coach has spent the last 14 seasons in Philadelphia, posting a 130-92-1 mark. His teams have posted a 19-10 postseason record, and reached Super Bowl XXXIX in 2004.
He wouldn't come cheap, though, and the Eagles' struggles over the last couple seasons have put a damper on the 54-year-old's résumé.
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.