Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 10:53 am
Did Patrick Peterson steal Richard Sherman's Pro Bowl spot?
A second-year pro, Peterson has picked off seven passes while collecting 53 tackles. He's been regularly matched up with the opponent's best receiver, and for the most part done an excellent job keeping them in check.
Peterson's effort this season was rewarded with a spot in the Pro Bowl, his second trip in as many seasons (first as a cornerback).
NFL.com's Greg Rosenthal believes the former first-round pick has been fine, but should not be heading to Hawaii. Instead, he believes Seattle's Richard Sherman should have gotten the nod.
It's an absolute joke that Patrick Peterson made the NFC team over Sherman. Peterson is a very talented cornerback and improved this season for the Arizona Cardinals, but his play was too up and down. We'd also put Antoine Winfield on the team over Tim Jennings or Peterson, although Jennings was plenty worthy.
A second-year pro himself, Sherman has tallied 61 tackles to go with seven interceptions this season. One of the best corners in the game, he recently won an appeal for what would have been a suspension due to use of performance-enhancing drugs. A case can certainly be made for Sherman's inclusion on the NFC roster, and that he wasn't is a bit of a shame.
ProFootballFocus.com ranks the former Stanford Cardinal second among cornerbacks, whereas the Arizona Cardinal Peterson comes in at 14th.
The players have comparable stats, though Sherman's team has been far more successful than Peterson's. Did the PED allegations play a role in the Seahawk being snubbed? Perhaps.
But either way it is Peterson who will be representing the NFC in Honolulu.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.