Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 10:53 am
Did Patrick Peterson steal Richard Sherman's Pro Bowl spot?
A second-year pro, Peterson has picked off seven passes while collecting 53 tackles. He's been regularly matched up with the opponent's best receiver, and for the most part done an excellent job keeping them in check.
Peterson's effort this season was rewarded with a spot in the Pro Bowl, his second trip in as many seasons (first as a cornerback).
NFL.com's Greg Rosenthal believes the former first-round pick has been fine, but should not be heading to Hawaii. Instead, he believes Seattle's Richard Sherman should have gotten the nod.
It's an absolute joke that Patrick Peterson made the NFC team over Sherman. Peterson is a very talented cornerback and improved this season for the Arizona Cardinals, but his play was too up and down. We'd also put Antoine Winfield on the team over Tim Jennings or Peterson, although Jennings was plenty worthy.
A second-year pro himself, Sherman has tallied 61 tackles to go with seven interceptions this season. One of the best corners in the game, he recently won an appeal for what would have been a suspension due to use of performance-enhancing drugs. A case can certainly be made for Sherman's inclusion on the NFC roster, and that he wasn't is a bit of a shame.
ProFootballFocus.com ranks the former Stanford Cardinal second among cornerbacks, whereas the Arizona Cardinal Peterson comes in at 14th.
The players have comparable stats, though Sherman's team has been far more successful than Peterson's. Did the PED allegations play a role in the Seahawk being snubbed? Perhaps.
But either way it is Peterson who will be representing the NFC in Honolulu.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.