Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 4:45 pm
ESPN analyst: Brian Hoyer's promotion says more about John Skelton
While Arizona's game against the San Francisco 49ers will be Hoyer's first professional start, one ESPN analyst believes the move says less about the former Michigan State standout and more about John Skelton, the Cardinals' Week 1 starter.
"I guess [the decision to start Hoyer] tells you how bad they must think of John Skelton," ESPN analyst John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Thursday. "What has happened to John Skelton?
"He was good enough to beat out Kevin Kolb for the starting job, now he is in nowhere land."
Skelton has not played since Arizona's historic 58-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks in Week 14. In that contest, Skelton was abysmal, throwing four interceptions on 22 attempts in the first half. It didn't help matters that the former fifth-round pick also lost a costly fumble.
In seven games this season, Skelton threw for 1,132 yards to go along with two touchdowns and nine interceptions. Skelton largely entered the 2012 season as the starting quarterback after leading Arizona to four wins in its final five games a year ago.
He was inactive for the team's game against the Chicago Bears in Week 16, signaling just how far he's fallen out of favor with Ken Whisenhunt.
While colleague Ron Jaworski raved about Hoyer's potential as an NFL starter, Clayton thinks the move will be a temporary one for the Cardinals.
"I think he was an efficient backup quarterback, one who can do some good things," said Clayton. "On a one-game basis it's okay, but look at the team he is facing [in San Francisco].
Hoyer, who comes into Sunday's game with 62 career pass attempts to his name, will face the 49ers' No. 4 ranked passing defense. The unit has already beaten Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Matt Stafford in 2012.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!