Updated Dec 25, 2012 - 10:08 am
Rhodes: 2012 season has been 'mentally draining'
But individual accomplishments only go so far for a player with Rhodes' NFL experience. After getting a chance to taste postseason play in 2009 when the New York Jets made it to the AFC Championship game, Rhodes admittedly doesn't want to settle for anything less at this point in his career.
With the Cardinals sitting at 5-10 with only one game remaining this season, it seems Rhodes will begrudgingly have to head to the off-season several weeks earlier than he had originally planned.
And on Monday, he let his feelings be known about the team's underwhelming season to date.
"It's mentally draining more than anything," Rhodes said. "When you go through a season like this, your aches hurt a little more and your body doesn't feel as good. It takes a toll on you in every way possible."
While Rhodes' tremendous season has certainly aided the Cardinals' defense -- ranked No. 4 in the NFL in takeaways -- it will all be for naught in 2012, as the team is headed to its third straight campaign without a winning record.
The former Louisville star candidly said that going through a season like the Cardinals are currently enduring has even made it tough for him when he leaves his day job behind.
"Even at home, you don't enjoy being at home," said Rhodes. "It's just tough."
If there is a silver lining to Arizona's woeful season, it's that Rhodes and Co. still have the opportunity to keep the San Francisco 49ers from winning the NFC West division -- something that looked like an absolute certainty just a month ago.
"The important thing for us [as a defense] this week is to continue playing like we have been playing," said Rhodes. "Play strong, try to fight and get a win.
"You put yourself on tape every week, that's how you get judged. So for us, it's important to come out and play well."
Rhodes is currently under contract through 2013, but in recent weeks it's been reported that he and the organization are in the process of working out terms for a two-year extension.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.