Updated Dec 25, 2012 - 9:33 am
Whisenhunt: No sense of relief that season is ending
From a nine-game losing streak to a historic 58-0 loss to a never-ending carousel at quarterback, Whisenhunt's resolve has certainly been tested over the first 15 games of the season. Yet even as the Cardinals are just days away from saying goodbye to a forgettable campaign, Whisenhunt doesn't want it to end.
"Even though it's tough, the competition drives you, wanting to get better and wanting to do things the right way in order to have success," Whisenhunt said Monday. "If you aren't competitive you shouldn't be in here. And if [losing] doesn't bother you, you shouldn't be doing this.
"Will there be a sense of relief? No. The first thing I'm going to think about [when it ends] is that we don't have a chance to keep going and get it better, get it fixed."
With the team sitting at 5-10 -- its worst record under Whisenhunt -- speculation has grown in recent weeks as to whether he, his coaching staff and many notable players will even have a chance to get things fixed next season. But playing against a divisional rival who still has plenty on the line, Whisenhunt said there's no chance his team would pack it in against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 17.
"That's really about desire and character, and having the right guys," said Whisenhunt. "As tough of a stretch as we've been through here the last couple years, [packing it in] has never been an issue.
"You always hear that about players having their cars running that last game, but I don't have that concern with our guys. Not with what they've shown on the field."
Although Whisenhunt isn't worried about his team's mentality when they take the field Sunday in the Bay Area, the question still remains as to who will take the field at quarterback against the 49ers. As of Monday afternoon, Arizona's head coach was still undecided as to who would get the nod against one of the top-ranked defenses in the NFL.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?