Updated Dec 23, 2012 - 7:38 pm
Larry Fitzgerald finally reaches century mark for Cardinals in loss
Fitzgerald, whose struggles this year have been well-documented, caught a game-best eight passes for 111 yards in Sunday's 28-13 loss to the Chicago Bears.
That Fitzgerald has only reached the century mark twice this season is alarming, but that he was able to do it Sunday was of little consequence to the receiver.
After all, his day came in a losing effort.
"It's been a long season," Fitzgerald said after the game. "Whenever I can make a play and make an impact I try to do it. Today some things opened up we were able to make some plays.
"But it didn't equate to a win so it's all for nothing."
It's been that kind of year for Fitzgerald and the Cardinals, who turned to recently-signed Brian Hoyer in the second half Sunday. He is the fourth quarterback Fitzgerald has caught a pass from this season, and if anyone was wondering where things have gone wrong, one would need look no further than the most important position in sports.
Oh, and turnovers, too.
Arizona coughed up the football three times Sunday, with two of the miscues being returned for Chicago touchdowns. With an offense struggling as bad as the Cardinals' is, those are things that just cannot happen.
"Anytime you spot a really good football team points it's tough to overcome those things," Fitzgerald said.
And the Cardinals, when given opportunities to make something happen on offense, continually fell short.
Twice Arizona began a drive in Chicago territory, but just once did the Cardinals come away with points. And even then, it was just three courtesy of a Jay Feely field goal.
"Whenever we get the ball in that down and distance with a short field," Fitzgerald said. "We've got to get points on the board."
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.