Updated Dec 23, 2012 - 7:38 pm
Larry Fitzgerald finally reaches century mark for Cardinals in loss
Fitzgerald, whose struggles this year have been well-documented, caught a game-best eight passes for 111 yards in Sunday's 28-13 loss to the Chicago Bears.
That Fitzgerald has only reached the century mark twice this season is alarming, but that he was able to do it Sunday was of little consequence to the receiver.
After all, his day came in a losing effort.
"It's been a long season," Fitzgerald said after the game. "Whenever I can make a play and make an impact I try to do it. Today some things opened up we were able to make some plays.
"But it didn't equate to a win so it's all for nothing."
It's been that kind of year for Fitzgerald and the Cardinals, who turned to recently-signed Brian Hoyer in the second half Sunday. He is the fourth quarterback Fitzgerald has caught a pass from this season, and if anyone was wondering where things have gone wrong, one would need look no further than the most important position in sports.
Oh, and turnovers, too.
Arizona coughed up the football three times Sunday, with two of the miscues being returned for Chicago touchdowns. With an offense struggling as bad as the Cardinals' is, those are things that just cannot happen.
"Anytime you spot a really good football team points it's tough to overcome those things," Fitzgerald said.
And the Cardinals, when given opportunities to make something happen on offense, continually fell short.
Twice Arizona began a drive in Chicago territory, but just once did the Cardinals come away with points. And even then, it was just three courtesy of a Jay Feely field goal.
"Whenever we get the ball in that down and distance with a short field," Fitzgerald said. "We've got to get points on the board."
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?