Arizona Cardinals' Campbell confident defense can stop the run
The Arizona Cardinals defense has been the continual bright spot in an overall dismal season in 2012.
But while Ray Horton's squad has earned accolades week after week for their impressive pass defense that ranks among the best in the league, they have also received criticism for their struggles containing the run this year.
Cards' defensive end Calais Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday the team's defense against the run has indeed been a mixed bag, but he feels if the unit can stay focused they are bound to have success.
"It's been kind of hit or miss," Campbell said. "Some games we play very well against the run and some games we let teams get going on us. A lot of it is the games where people get a little frustrated and we're trying to press and too many guys are trying to do more than just our job."
Horton's pass defense has been so good teams have figured out their best chance to beat them is to run the ball early and often. Campbell expects to see the Chicago Bears do just that on Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"I think [the Bears] are going to run a lot more," Campbell stated. "I think the mentality is run the ball down our throats and then try to take it up over the top with Brandon Marshall."
Chicago boasts a very balanced offensive attack, including a strong back in Matt Forte, who is expected to see his fair share of carries.
"[Forte's] a really good running back in this league and if you let him get going he can really beat you," Campbell stated.
The Cardinals utilize a 3-4 attacking defense and if they execute properly Campbell believes they can shut down the run. They will certainly have a tall task ahead of them if they hope to upset the Bears.
But despite a trying year, Campbell said the Cardinals' defense has managed to take away some positives to build upon for next season.
"I think we just have the right kind of guys who understand how the game is and I think if we keep this group together next year we might be able to make a good run for it," Campbell said.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?