Updated Dec 21, 2012 - 11:31 am
ESPN insider on Whisenhunt: Shouldn't be fired, but might be
At that point the franchise will have some important decisions to make, not the least of which is what to do at head coach.
Do they keep Ken Whisenhunt, who in six seasons with the team has won a pair of NFC West titles and taken the Cardinals to the Super Bowl? Or do they fire a coach whose career record is 45-49, and has gone just 18-28 over the last three seasons?
They are the same guy, after all.
"The realization that [Whisenhunt's] entering the last year of his contract, when you start to do that then you start to say 'OK, is it time to do the extension,'" ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "And if they don't do the extension and they start to review things and look at this season there might very well be a change."
"I think it'd be a mistake because I think he's too good of a coach to let go, but I think you can understand the circumstances."
"Those things, unfortunately, are going to be held against him," Clayton said. "Should he be fired? No. Will he be fired? Maybe."
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.