Updated Dec 21, 2012 - 11:31 am
ESPN insider on Whisenhunt: Shouldn't be fired, but might be
At that point the franchise will have some important decisions to make, not the least of which is what to do at head coach.
Do they keep Ken Whisenhunt, who in six seasons with the team has won a pair of NFC West titles and taken the Cardinals to the Super Bowl? Or do they fire a coach whose career record is 45-49, and has gone just 18-28 over the last three seasons?
They are the same guy, after all.
"The realization that [Whisenhunt's] entering the last year of his contract, when you start to do that then you start to say 'OK, is it time to do the extension,'" ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "And if they don't do the extension and they start to review things and look at this season there might very well be a change."
"I think it'd be a mistake because I think he's too good of a coach to let go, but I think you can understand the circumstances."
"Those things, unfortunately, are going to be held against him," Clayton said. "Should he be fired? No. Will he be fired? Maybe."
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.