Updated Dec 21, 2012 - 11:31 am
ESPN insider on Whisenhunt: Shouldn't be fired, but might be
At that point the franchise will have some important decisions to make, not the least of which is what to do at head coach.
Do they keep Ken Whisenhunt, who in six seasons with the team has won a pair of NFC West titles and taken the Cardinals to the Super Bowl? Or do they fire a coach whose career record is 45-49, and has gone just 18-28 over the last three seasons?
They are the same guy, after all.
"The realization that [Whisenhunt's] entering the last year of his contract, when you start to do that then you start to say 'OK, is it time to do the extension,'" ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "And if they don't do the extension and they start to review things and look at this season there might very well be a change."
"I think it'd be a mistake because I think he's too good of a coach to let go, but I think you can understand the circumstances."
"Those things, unfortunately, are going to be held against him," Clayton said. "Should he be fired? No. Will he be fired? Maybe."
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.