Updated Dec 18, 2012 - 11:21 am
NFL insiders believe Kevin Kolb likely done in Arizona
Will the Cardinals, who acquired the former Eagle prior to the 2011 season, keep him with the belief that he will develop into the passer they thought he'd be? After all, Kolb did lead the team to its first four wins this season, and threw eight touchdown passes against three interceptions. His QB rating of 86.1 would rank 15th in the NFL right now, if he had enough pass attempts.
Which, incidentally, is the reason the Cardinals may instead decide to cut ties with Kolb. The passer's career in the desert has been marred by injuries, and by the time the season comes to a close Kolb will have played in just 15 of a possible 32 games for the team. It doesn't really matter how good you are if you can't stay on the field.
"Clearly Arizona has to do something at the quarterback position, and more than likely I think they'll wipe themselves out after two years of the Kevin Kolb experiment," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike Tuesday. "I don't know if they move on Alex Smith or draft a quarterback, but they've got to do something."
At any rate, should the team decide to part with Kolb, his time in Arizona will be remembered as one of disappointment and unfulfilled expectations.
"Huge sunk cost there, they've paid this kid almost $20 million over two years," NFL insider Andrew Brandt told Mike & Mike. "There's nothing left in guarantees, but that's a huge sunk cost for someone to take on a big salary next year."
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.