Updated Dec 18, 2012 - 11:21 am
NFL insiders believe Kevin Kolb likely done in Arizona
Will the Cardinals, who acquired the former Eagle prior to the 2011 season, keep him with the belief that he will develop into the passer they thought he'd be? After all, Kolb did lead the team to its first four wins this season, and threw eight touchdown passes against three interceptions. His QB rating of 86.1 would rank 15th in the NFL right now, if he had enough pass attempts.
Which, incidentally, is the reason the Cardinals may instead decide to cut ties with Kolb. The passer's career in the desert has been marred by injuries, and by the time the season comes to a close Kolb will have played in just 15 of a possible 32 games for the team. It doesn't really matter how good you are if you can't stay on the field.
"Clearly Arizona has to do something at the quarterback position, and more than likely I think they'll wipe themselves out after two years of the Kevin Kolb experiment," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike Tuesday. "I don't know if they move on Alex Smith or draft a quarterback, but they've got to do something."
At any rate, should the team decide to part with Kolb, his time in Arizona will be remembered as one of disappointment and unfulfilled expectations.
"Huge sunk cost there, they've paid this kid almost $20 million over two years," NFL insider Andrew Brandt told Mike & Mike. "There's nothing left in guarantees, but that's a huge sunk cost for someone to take on a big salary next year."
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.