Updated Dec 18, 2012 - 11:21 am
NFL insiders believe Kevin Kolb likely done in Arizona
Will the Cardinals, who acquired the former Eagle prior to the 2011 season, keep him with the belief that he will develop into the passer they thought he'd be? After all, Kolb did lead the team to its first four wins this season, and threw eight touchdown passes against three interceptions. His QB rating of 86.1 would rank 15th in the NFL right now, if he had enough pass attempts.
Which, incidentally, is the reason the Cardinals may instead decide to cut ties with Kolb. The passer's career in the desert has been marred by injuries, and by the time the season comes to a close Kolb will have played in just 15 of a possible 32 games for the team. It doesn't really matter how good you are if you can't stay on the field.
"Clearly Arizona has to do something at the quarterback position, and more than likely I think they'll wipe themselves out after two years of the Kevin Kolb experiment," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike Tuesday. "I don't know if they move on Alex Smith or draft a quarterback, but they've got to do something."
At any rate, should the team decide to part with Kolb, his time in Arizona will be remembered as one of disappointment and unfulfilled expectations.
"Huge sunk cost there, they've paid this kid almost $20 million over two years," NFL insider Andrew Brandt told Mike & Mike. "There's nothing left in guarantees, but that's a huge sunk cost for someone to take on a big salary next year."
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 13
- Arizona Cardinals: Wins meaningless without playoffs
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Dave Pasch, Cardinals radio announcer - Friday December 13Pasch gives his thoughts on this weekend's Cardinals game against the Titans.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.