Updated Dec 18, 2012 - 11:21 am
NFL insiders believe Kevin Kolb likely done in Arizona
Will the Cardinals, who acquired the former Eagle prior to the 2011 season, keep him with the belief that he will develop into the passer they thought he'd be? After all, Kolb did lead the team to its first four wins this season, and threw eight touchdown passes against three interceptions. His QB rating of 86.1 would rank 15th in the NFL right now, if he had enough pass attempts.
Which, incidentally, is the reason the Cardinals may instead decide to cut ties with Kolb. The passer's career in the desert has been marred by injuries, and by the time the season comes to a close Kolb will have played in just 15 of a possible 32 games for the team. It doesn't really matter how good you are if you can't stay on the field.
"Clearly Arizona has to do something at the quarterback position, and more than likely I think they'll wipe themselves out after two years of the Kevin Kolb experiment," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike Tuesday. "I don't know if they move on Alex Smith or draft a quarterback, but they've got to do something."
At any rate, should the team decide to part with Kolb, his time in Arizona will be remembered as one of disappointment and unfulfilled expectations.
"Huge sunk cost there, they've paid this kid almost $20 million over two years," NFL insider Andrew Brandt told Mike & Mike. "There's nothing left in guarantees, but that's a huge sunk cost for someone to take on a big salary next year."
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!