Updated Dec 14, 2012 - 3:19 pm
ESPN's Golic: Cardinals need a 'clean break' from current QBs
"It's just horrific and stunning," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday.
Golic, whose show "Mike & Mike" poked fun at the Cardinals this week, said he's shocked at how an NFL team could struggle so badly at that position.
But the Cardinals have, and coming off a franchise-worst loss to Seattle, there is speculation that head coach Ken Whisenhunt's job is very much in jeopardy.
That makes sense, according to Golic.
"Something's not working, while we talk about people losing their jobs nobody likes to see anybody lose their job, but something's got to happen," he said. "I mean, at the very least you have to start a list on what quarterback you want in there, and any quarterback at this point is probably going to suffice."
That quarterback, Golic believes, has yet to don a Cardinals uniform.
"The next quarterback that's going to lead the Cardinals to anywhere is not on the roster," he said.
Golic noted that Kevin Kolb has played well at times, but his inability to stay healthy means the Cardinals should find someone else.
"I really think, with how ugly it's been there, it's time for that clean break, clean sweep of the quarterback position and go in another direction," he said.
"I don't know how Larry Fitzgerald doesn't have everything in his house be broken from him throwing it against the wall in frustration," he said.
Fitzgerald has caught just six passes for 67 yards over Arizona's last four games, totals that pale in comparison to some of the NFL's other great receivers. That the struggles appear to be out of the receiver's control is, well, disappointing.
"You're wasting such time with such a great player like Larry Fitzgerald," Golic said. "You know, you're not in your prime forever."
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.