Updated Dec 14, 2012 - 3:19 pm
ESPN's Golic: Cardinals need a 'clean break' from current QBs
"It's just horrific and stunning," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday.
Golic, whose show "Mike & Mike" poked fun at the Cardinals this week, said he's shocked at how an NFL team could struggle so badly at that position.
But the Cardinals have, and coming off a franchise-worst loss to Seattle, there is speculation that head coach Ken Whisenhunt's job is very much in jeopardy.
That makes sense, according to Golic.
"Something's not working, while we talk about people losing their jobs nobody likes to see anybody lose their job, but something's got to happen," he said. "I mean, at the very least you have to start a list on what quarterback you want in there, and any quarterback at this point is probably going to suffice."
That quarterback, Golic believes, has yet to don a Cardinals uniform.
"The next quarterback that's going to lead the Cardinals to anywhere is not on the roster," he said.
Golic noted that Kevin Kolb has played well at times, but his inability to stay healthy means the Cardinals should find someone else.
"I really think, with how ugly it's been there, it's time for that clean break, clean sweep of the quarterback position and go in another direction," he said.
"I don't know how Larry Fitzgerald doesn't have everything in his house be broken from him throwing it against the wall in frustration," he said.
Fitzgerald has caught just six passes for 67 yards over Arizona's last four games, totals that pale in comparison to some of the NFL's other great receivers. That the struggles appear to be out of the receiver's control is, well, disappointing.
"You're wasting such time with such a great player like Larry Fitzgerald," Golic said. "You know, you're not in your prime forever."
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.