Updated Dec 14, 2012 - 3:19 pm
ESPN's Golic: Cardinals need a 'clean break' from current QBs
"It's just horrific and stunning," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday.
Golic, whose show "Mike & Mike" poked fun at the Cardinals this week, said he's shocked at how an NFL team could struggle so badly at that position.
But the Cardinals have, and coming off a franchise-worst loss to Seattle, there is speculation that head coach Ken Whisenhunt's job is very much in jeopardy.
That makes sense, according to Golic.
"Something's not working, while we talk about people losing their jobs nobody likes to see anybody lose their job, but something's got to happen," he said. "I mean, at the very least you have to start a list on what quarterback you want in there, and any quarterback at this point is probably going to suffice."
That quarterback, Golic believes, has yet to don a Cardinals uniform.
"The next quarterback that's going to lead the Cardinals to anywhere is not on the roster," he said.
Golic noted that Kevin Kolb has played well at times, but his inability to stay healthy means the Cardinals should find someone else.
"I really think, with how ugly it's been there, it's time for that clean break, clean sweep of the quarterback position and go in another direction," he said.
"I don't know how Larry Fitzgerald doesn't have everything in his house be broken from him throwing it against the wall in frustration," he said.
Fitzgerald has caught just six passes for 67 yards over Arizona's last four games, totals that pale in comparison to some of the NFL's other great receivers. That the struggles appear to be out of the receiver's control is, well, disappointing.
"You're wasting such time with such a great player like Larry Fitzgerald," Golic said. "You know, you're not in your prime forever."
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.