Updated Dec 14, 2012 - 3:19 pm
ESPN's Golic: Cardinals need a 'clean break' from current QBs
"It's just horrific and stunning," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday.
Golic, whose show "Mike & Mike" poked fun at the Cardinals this week, said he's shocked at how an NFL team could struggle so badly at that position.
But the Cardinals have, and coming off a franchise-worst loss to Seattle, there is speculation that head coach Ken Whisenhunt's job is very much in jeopardy.
That makes sense, according to Golic.
"Something's not working, while we talk about people losing their jobs nobody likes to see anybody lose their job, but something's got to happen," he said. "I mean, at the very least you have to start a list on what quarterback you want in there, and any quarterback at this point is probably going to suffice."
That quarterback, Golic believes, has yet to don a Cardinals uniform.
"The next quarterback that's going to lead the Cardinals to anywhere is not on the roster," he said.
Golic noted that Kevin Kolb has played well at times, but his inability to stay healthy means the Cardinals should find someone else.
"I really think, with how ugly it's been there, it's time for that clean break, clean sweep of the quarterback position and go in another direction," he said.
"I don't know how Larry Fitzgerald doesn't have everything in his house be broken from him throwing it against the wall in frustration," he said.
Fitzgerald has caught just six passes for 67 yards over Arizona's last four games, totals that pale in comparison to some of the NFL's other great receivers. That the struggles appear to be out of the receiver's control is, well, disappointing.
"You're wasting such time with such a great player like Larry Fitzgerald," Golic said. "You know, you're not in your prime forever."
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.