Updated Dec 14, 2012 - 2:08 pm
Cardinals DC looking for rookie Jamell Fleming to 'grow up'
Defensive coordinator Ray Horton described Fleming's play early in the year as "spectacular," but thinks the corner since has had "a sense of lull" or "complacency" as of late.
"I think he probably thought there is nothing to this league. I don't have to prepare, I don't have to study, I don't have to challenge myself and you really do every day or you get run by," Horton said.
The Cardinals selected the former Oklahoma Sooner in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, but Horton doesn't want the young cornerback to act like a rookie anymore.
"I need him to grow up, mature, be a professional and in my opinion, he is not at that point yet," Horton said. "We had a long talk yesterday, so it will be interesting to see how he performs."
Fleming said that he had no argument with what Horton told him.
"Him being honest is what I want," Fleming said. "I don't want him to lie to me and tell me something I want to hear."
Horton said he challenged Fleming to be a very good special teams player and wanted to see what the rookie could do on Sunday.
"Whenever they put me in, that's where I am going to make my mark," Fleming said. "I'm just trying to get better."
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!